The Beautiful Meme: Day Two

Posted: Sunday 13 March 2011 | Posted by Adam Townend | Labels: ,

Today I checked in with my admin stuff, emails, etc. Then Rhianne got me straight into more 'According To McGee' stuff, which I was quite happy about because they seem to be the type of client and theme I like designing for. It's something where typography is important because the focus should be not taken away from the work of the artist.

Today, I was working on a exhibition poster, come flyer which the client was coming in to look at midday. This was my first test to see if I could deliver something on time. The front of the poster had to continue the underlying theme of the previous exhibition poster, but the client, Greg, wanted something different for the back, and had some copy for me to work with. I started mocking up his manifesto on the back, looking at a few colour variations along the way, and liaised with Rhianne to check my development, which is something I've never had before. Usually, I would get on with things to please myself but if Rhianne wasn't sure about something, I knew she would tell me, which obviously helped. By lunch I had pretty much exhausted the type, by splitting it, scaling, changing case, multi column, one column, fonts, orientation.

Greg came in and was happy with what I had, and even thanked me for helping. I spent the rest of the afternoon making minor changes once Ben had seen what I had. By the end of the day I had my stuff pinned up and ready for critting on Monday. In the end I incorporated the copy into the fold which hadn't been done on previous versions. Ben was convinced by my colour choice of gold that a metallic ink would really suit the poster, but it remains to be seen if the client will go with that, usually they are digitally printed.

All in all, a good day, and I seemed more productive. I appreciate that for some things, I am going to be a bit of hindrance when the guys are busy but I took confidence from what I did. I also got to see a load of print samples a new printer brought in from Evolution print, who have done stuff for TDR and Music. I got a few pictures of the stocks and print finishes which I will post later.
















0 comments: